If you are interested in starting a cookie business, there are a few things you should do to get yourself started.
- Have at least $1000 to get started
- Get some business insurance
- Register for an EIN number with the state board
- List your fictitious business name with the county recorder
- Open a business bank account
- Establish your price points
- Figure out your packaging
- Decide how you will store your supplies and products
- Figure out the shelf life of your products
- Be sure your labeling complies with government regulations
- Gather all your materials
- Find a commercial kitchen (in most states, you cannot sell what you bake in your own kitchen)
- Test market your cookies
- Have professional photos taken of your cookies. You will need these for your web site and marketing materials
- Develop your marketing materials and have them printed.
- Depending on the response you get, decide whether you want to take your products to the larger market, or stay small. Whichever works best for you and your business.
Hope this will give you a good starting point. Don’t let it overwhelm you, just check off one thing at a time until you are in business.